Photo Gallery: Fort Point

Curated by John A. Martini
Fort Point is the only brick fortress of its type west of the Mississippi. Rushed to completion in 1861 at the start of the Civil War, its cavernous interior and thick brick walls housed up to 400 soldiers who guarded the Golden Gate. Living conditions were dismal, though, and the army removed the troops in 1868. The fort was almost demolished for the Golden Gate Bridge, but instead the bridge was redesigned to preserve the fort. Fort Point National Historic Site was created in 1970, and restoration continues up to present day.