We depend on individual donations to survive. Please Donate any amount to help keep this non-profit effort going.
In the OpenSFHistory Collection we have a variety of panoramic images derived from original prints, glass negatives, nitrate and acetate negatives (some as large as 6 feet long), as well as images and negative that lend themselves to being combined into panoramic views. Our normal display doesn't present these images in the resolution they require to accomodate the views they present, so we're collecting them here with a viewer that should work a little better. (Check back often we'll be adding to this list in the coming months. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Dave Lucas who worked to bring these images to the public.)
View north across Market to track of Market St Railroad. Spire of Second Congregational Church, later known as Plymouth Church, at left. Tenderloin, at the time known as St. Ann's Valley. Nob Hill in the background with no mansions. Inscription says 1865, but it's 1866 because of RR ties.[TEH82? T.E. Hecht, Market St. Bet. Taylor & Mason Sts 1865 SS-76]
1877 panorama from the Mark Hopkins home. Crocker Mansion (under construction), Colton Mansion. Masonry strewn in street. (panorama created from multiple glass negatives) [G810 PAN-009a] (GGNRA/Behrman GOGA 35346)
North side of music concourse with museum. Originally constructed as the Fine Arts Building for 1894 Midwinter Fair, it was renamed Memorial Museum in 1895 and eventually became part of de Young Museum. Building at left was originally the Royal Bavarian Pavilion at the 1894 Fair. It was moved and converted into an annex to the Memorial Museum. Part of panorama. The old buildings were demolished in 1929.
1906 Earthquake and Fire, [Cor Stockton and Market Sts.] Panoramic view east. Whittell, Mutual, and Call Buildings. Written on back: [The Sunday you was along. A. Singmaster, 8470 Sonoma Ave, Sebastopol]
1906 Earthquake damage, Panoramic View south from Telegraph Hill above Broadway between Kearny and Montgomery, Fairmont Hotel at right, Grace Church, Sentinel Building, Hall of Justice, Downtown [View from Telegraph Hill. Pillsbury Pictures 229]
1906 Earthquake damage, Panoramic view west from Market, Turk, & Mason. Wilson Building and Hale Brothers Department store at left, City Hall Dome is visible at center. Sightseers, horses, pedestrians.
1906 Earthquake damage, Panoramic View North toward Nob Hill summit from Mason near California, Mark Hopkins Art Institute. Flood Mansion (now Pacific-Union Club) and Fairmont Hotel [Pillsbury Picture Co. 227]
1906 Earthquake and Fire, View west to panorama of Cow Hollow District from about Lombard and Polk. Earthquake refugee tents in distance. The apartment building at center still stands at Lombard & Van Ness. San Francisco Gas Works at center right. Russian Hill looking west, Part 1. Part 2 is wnp33.01006. [Clayton St Family Collection]
1906 Earthquake, Panoramic view east from the roof of the Merchants Exchange (431 California, between Montgomery and Sansome). Fire burning April 18th, 1906 [ View from the Merchants Exchange Pillsbury Pictures 100]
1906 Earthquake and Fire, View north to fires from about 20th and Arkanas, after 1906 earthquake in empty lot just east of Arkansas Street. Side and rear of 1627 20th Street on right. (composite made from 2 glass negatives wnp15.192 and wnp15.193)
1906 Earthquake and Fire, View north to fires from about 20th and Arkanas, after 1906 earthquake in empty lot just east of Arkansas Street. Side and rear of 1627 20th Street on right. (composite made from 2 glass negatives wnp15.194 and wnp15.195)
View north from about Broadway between Broderick and Baker. 2858 Vallejo and 2856 Vallejo at center. Incriptions indicate the Presidio (at left), Harbor View (early recreation site, center), and Ft. Mason (right)
View south from camera maker Samuel Slayton's home at 554 46th Avenue over the largely empty Outer Richmond. Spring Valley Water tank (46th and Anza) at center, Sutro's stable at right. Golden Gate Park in the distance.
View north from the home of T. Paterson Ross, architect, 109 Edgewood. Carl Street and former Metropolitan Railway powerhouse (decommissioned in 1902) in foreground. Golden Gate Park nursery and future site of Kezar Stadium at center. [View from residence of Mr. & Mrs. T. Paterson Ross Oct. 17, 1908]
[Sutro Baths - No. 6. Panorama 1st. Standing on Sutro Heights property on the south side of Cliff Avenue, opposite Sutro Baths, looking north and east, showing depot and fence surrounding Sutro Baths.] Firth Wheel in background. [Sutro Estate Assessment - A. S. Baldwin]
Panoramic view southwest to northeast from new the top of the Call / Spreckels Building (now known as the Central Tower) at 3rd and Market. from Twin Peaks on the left to the Ferry Building and Yerba Buena Island on the right.
Panoramic View from Lone Mountain stretching from Ewing Field at Masonic and O'Farrell at left left to Golden Gate Heights at right background. Calvery and Masonic Cemeteries, Buena Vista Park, Twin Peaks, Mt. Sutro, and St. Ignatius Church are among the notable views
View northeast from Twin Peaks (possibly from the old Sutro Mansion broadcast tower) over Clarendon Heights, Tank Hill, Mt. Olympus, Buena Vista Park, Golden Gate Park panhandle, Upper Haight, Haight Ashbury, Alcatraz, Marin Headlands.